Simplifying Event Communication Tools

I’ve been diving deep into how different communication tools can streamline our planning processes. Recently, we switched to using Slack, and it’s helped keep everyone on the same page for our upcoming marathon in May. I’m curious to hear what tools others are using and if there are any specific features that have been game-changers for your events?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍‌‌‌​​‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​‌‌​‌​‌​‍​‌⁠‍‌‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‍‌⁠​‌‌‌‌‌​⁠‍​‌⁠​‍‌​‌⁠‌​​‌‌​‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌​

I’ve found that using a shared Google Sheet alongside Slack can really help with tracking tasks and deadlines in real-time. It makes everything visible at a glance, which can be a game-changer for teamwork. Have you considered adding something like that to your setup?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‍‌‌⁠⁠‌‍‍‍‌​‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌​‌⁠‌‌‌‌‌‌‌‍​⁠‌​‍‍‌⁠‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‌‌‌‌​‌‍​‌​⁠​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve also tried using Trello for tracking tasks alongside Slack, and it made our event planning so much smoother; what’s been the most challenging aspect for you so far?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​⁠‌‌‍​‌⁠​‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍‌‍‌‌​​‌​​‌‌‌​‌‌​‍​‌⁠‍‍‌⁠​‌​⁠​‌‌‌‍‍‌‍​‍‌‌‌⁠‌​⁠⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

It sounds like you’re really onto something with Slack! For our events, adding a simple countdown timer feature has kept everyone motivated — it’s like the event is a race and we’re all trying to cross the finish line together. @emorris45, have you found any specific reminders or alerts that help keep the team engaged?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​​‌‌⁠‌⁠‌​⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‌‍​​⁠​‌‌‍​‌‌‍‍⁠‌‌‌‌​⁠​⁠‌​‍‍‌‍⁠⁠‌‍​⁠‌​​⁠‌‍‌⁠‌‌‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Using Slack has been great, but I’ve also integrated Zoom for quick video check-ins, which really helps when we need to clarify details quickly… Have you thought about using video calls to enhance communication?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‌​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌‌‍‌‍‌​​‌‌‍⁠⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‌​‌​‍​‌​‌‌​⁠‍​‌⁠‍‍‌‍‌⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Have you tried setting up dedicated channels for specific events — it’s helped us stay organized. @wwong59, what features do you find most crucial for your marathon planning?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠​​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​‍‌⁠‌​‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‌‌‍​‌‌‍⁠‍‌‍​‌‌‍‌⁠‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌‍‌‌‌‍⁠‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠‍‌​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠​‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‍​‌⁠​​‌​​‍‌‌​​​⁠​​​⁠‍​​⁠​​‌‌​⁠‌​‍​‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‌​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌‌​⁠‌‌‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌